+14
Fixed

Portal still not responding.

Joshua Zukerman 2 months ago updated by adam.connor 2 days ago 29

Still having the same issue of the portal becoming unresponsive after random periods of uptime. Running version 20.2.29488.7519 on CentOS 6.10 virtual machine, 1 vCPU, 2GB RAM. When the server is running, it is slightly faster, though that may be due to unloading more than half of the clients to a new Windows VM in Azure. I'm keeping this server around due to many offline agents (computers) that don't get powered on frequently. That way I can point them to my new server without having to manually reinstall the client agent.

Answer

PINNED

Hi All, 

A 20.2 stable was posted on the downloads page today. The release date is from July, but it was updated today -- the "release date" is actually the date it was built and is stored in metadata. 


We've reached out to as many on-prem partners on Linux as we could, some which helped us troubleshoot the current stable release. Other issues were environmental, and could not be reproduced. Any future bugs should go through Support like normal so we can address them quickly. 

+1

@caitlin, you've made us silent by blocking the thread https://control.product.connectwise.com/communities/6/topics/2798-portal-not-responding. However, the issue isn't anything better. What is the progress? Again weeks and weeks further in time, and not nearby a solution. 

I did move to MeshCentral, but -honestly-  it isn't as good as your product, however it is my lifeline know for simple and short service actions. But doing serious remote work isn't comfortable

+1

Well I guess we just need to move the conversation over here...

Is there any update on possibly moving linux to .net core?

+1

.net core is the only fix here.

Still no commitment to migrating, we're probably going to end up moving to Windows as it's now 10 revisions ahead of linux. 

the only move I will doubt about is the move away from connectwise. But I hope I can stay.

I gave up and moved to Server 2019...

Windows is on 20.10 with 20.11 in beta...If they decide to move to .net core I'll move back to linux but I can't wait around for them to figure it out. 

What is the status on this? I spent 13 hours attempting to replace our Linux server with Windows over the weekend, only to determine that our other core business application run 2.5x slower. This is NOT going to work. We NEED a stable Linux version. NOW.

How can things go THAT wrong ?
We are all IT professionals here. Can we have technical feedback from developpers about the issue they are facing and how they progress? is this product in a dead end ?

The Linux seems to be a dead end. Windows seems like a new release every week. 

+1

been several updates to the Win server while we've been waiting here.

To rub salt into the wound I got an email from a Connectwise salesperson at the exact time I was meant to be in a remote session with a client - but couldn't because the session manager had crashed.
I've owned the product since July 2015 and they've NEVER managed to let me know when my subscription is nearly up.
Lack of updates to the Linux server now means I'll have to pay to get the bug fix we've been waiting for over 2 months for. 
I don't want to encourage bad service so it looks like that might be the end for me.
Huge pity because I really think there's a gold mine in the software if they decide to update it

+1

HELLO??????  

WHY o WHY are we complete IGNORED by the company who INVOICES us yearly? WAKE UP PLEASE!!

-1

If someone can reproduce this issue reliably, please email ctrlpm@connectwise.com and we'll setup a time to get on a session. We have been unable to reproduce these periods of unresponsiveness in-house. Thanks!

Also, please see https://control.product.connectwise.com/communities/62/topics/3330-adding-logging-to-your-linux-server. After adding logging to your server, please reach out to us through the email Caitlin posted above and we'll take a look at the logs to see what we can find out. Thanks!

+1

you had a beta group testing this for a few weeks before releasing the 'canary' build,
I'd hope one of those people would be able to help with logging. It's now been 2 months. 
My Support contract has now run out and honestly I'm not going to help any further or pay any more $ until there's a clear commitment to get the product up to date. 
The issue doesn't occur on a fresh build, it creeps in later and is random. It is not reproducible in my experience. 
And please commit some resources to getting this product fixed- if you decide to drop the Linux server you'll be giving up more than a small bunch of complainers- you're giving up options if Windows develops a show stopping bug

+2

I too am still having issues with it randomly stopping responding on 20.2.29488.7519. Decided to look into migrating to Cloud. Turns out this isn't straightforward, as you can only migrate if the on-prem version matches the latest Cloud version, but you literally cannot get the latest Linux on-prem version, as it doesn't exist! Support has told me that to migrate to the Cloud, I need to first migrate to Windows and then migrate to the Cloud! Ha! I'd rather migrate elsewhere than faff about setting up a Windows server just to use for 5 mins.

+2

Why should we migrate to the cloud. We pay for a working solution and we don't get service anymore. 

If this doesn't change, I'll finish my collaboration with connectwise and change to another solution. 

What bothers me the most is that connectwise knows that and still doesn't do anything.

PINNED

Hi All, 

A 20.2 stable was posted on the downloads page today. The release date is from July, but it was updated today -- the "release date" is actually the date it was built and is stored in metadata. 


We've reached out to as many on-prem partners on Linux as we could, some which helped us troubleshoot the current stable release. Other issues were environmental, and could not be reproduced. Any future bugs should go through Support like normal so we can address them quickly. 

+1

Caitlin, are you able to provide any details on the plan to now bring the Linux version back in line with the Windows version? As it's currently stopping us from being able to migrate to Cloud even if we wanted to.

James, and really anyone on the thread, 

If you're currently on Linux and wish to move the cloud, please reach out to me (ctrlpm@connectwise.com) and I'll make arrangements to move you to the cloud without the jump to Windows. Please note that some data may be lost in the transfer. 

+4

Caitlin, you failed to respond to the larger question--namely what are the future plans for Linux?  This year should really have been the time to revamp the core architecture given Microsoft's huge push towards .NET Core (now called .NET 5 and also RTM as of 3 days ago).  The old .NET Framework is now legacy code.  Sure it will still be around for quite a while, but it's not what Microsoft themselves are using anymore and won't be receiving much attention at all.


Microsoft has a rapid iteration cycle planned for future .NET upgrades.  Moving to this newer .NET architecture would highly benefit your Windows and Cloud infrastructure, and of course also would provide direct support for Linux and MacOS without any crazy Mono headaches.


Ideally this migration should have been going on this year with testing to be ready for .NET 5 RTM, but now is the time to finally pull the trigger to avoid years of headaches with a legacy platform that Microsoft doesn't really care about anymore as bugs creep in with future Windows OS releases.  PLEASE DO THIS.  I really can't imagine that it would require a ton of code rewriting since Microsoft has spent a lot of time on making the transition smooth.  You could then put the Mono issue in the grave once and for all and still please your current (and likely future) Linux customers.  You'd even gain MacOS compatibility again.  And of course, Windows users would see performance improvements too.  All on one unified codebase.  This is really the perfect product to benefit from Microsoft's cross-platform .NET vision, and you'd be setting the stage for years of a well-maintained, efficient codebase that would reduce maintenance costs and make customers happy.

Sounds like the date modification is so it will run properly under my expired license, if that's the case thank you. I look forward to getting it installed

Yes, missed that in my post yesterday! We've back dated the release so its eligible for the expired license. Looking forward to your feedback!

+2

WARNING! Do not upgrade to the new version and attempt to update any of your previously installed access clients. It will completely remove the application from the computer.

Hey Ben,

Could you start a new bug report for this? Just don't want things like this to get lost in this thread. Thanks!

Already submitted. Wanted to post this here first so nobody else has to suffer.

Is this bug fixed? I can't find any submitted ticket about it.

NO! This bug is NOT fixed.

Couple of comments-
1. the 'portal not responding' issue is not fixed, but it is maybe 70% better for me. It only affects my work once or twice per day instead of every time I go to use it
2. I was careful about updating clients because of the other bug report- but I upgraded one client and it was fine. After that, I now seem to be unable to re-install any clients. Not sure if it's a version mismatch but it doesn't seem to even attempt the upgrade (from the 20.2 canary version)