+3
Under Review

Command Toolbox output enhancement

cps 6 years ago updated by Caitlin M Barnes (Product Manager) 6 years ago 1 1 duplicate

I love the Command Toolbox extension, however I suggest a couple of enhancements to make it even better and more powerful.

Right now when a command is run from the Command Toolbox, the command is issued via the Commands tab and the output is directed there, although the view is set back to the Start tab. This is fine for an occasional one-off command, but really quite awkward for intensive regular use.

Request #1: When a command is issued from Command Toolbox for a single selected computer, direct the output (or a copy of the output) to a pop-up window.

Request #2: When a command is issued from Command Toolbox for a multi-computer selection, pipe the output from each computer to a log file, then pop up a window and display the combined results (or optionally save the resulting log to some accessible location for future viewing, or email it to a designated email address).

For example, suppose I have a command to show the local IP address as follows:

Command Name:  Show Local IP

Command: ipconfig | findstr "IPv4"

Now suppose I select 100 computers and then run this command on the selected group. As it stands now, I have to individually click on the Commands tab for each of the 100 computers, one at a time, to see the result, and if I want to analyze the results as a group I need to copy / paste each output into a file, or write it down on paper, or some similarly ugly approach.

On the other hand, with Request #2 above, the output for each computer would be piped and appended to some log file, e.g.,

<machinename1>

<resultstring1>

<machinename2>

<resultstring2>

and upon completion, a pop-up window displays the content of the log file, or emails it to the tech who issued the command.

Duplicates 1